Friday, July 29, 2005

One candle

Babble on.

I know it seems like I've been droning on forever, but as it turns out, it's only been a year. A year today, in fact.

Blogging is a strange hobby. It's like having a mosquito bite that you can't stop scratching; one that never goes away. I've discovered much this past year, but one thing in particular surprised me. I don't always enjoy the writing process, and I'm rarely completely satisfied with what I write. I'm regularly frustrated by online research that goes nowhere, and by a shortage of time to address certain subjects in the detail and depth they deserve. All the peripheral baggage that goes with blogging - trolls, technical glitches, lost posts, policing comments, and the rest of it - swarms around my head like a cloud of gnats, a distraction I don't want or need. But in spite of all of that, to my surprise, I've found that I need to write.

Thanks to all who have inspired this binary scribbling. I've said it to most of you individually over the course of the past year, but I want to say it again.

And thanks to all who read. I've had 63,404 unique visits in my first twelve months. Some of you have supported me, some have challenged me, and all of you have let me know by your simple presence that I'm not just yelling into a great, dark void.

Hopefully, I've done the same for you. And if I haven't...well, I'm going to keep trying, and we'll see how things work out: even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile. Wish me luck.

Babble off.

10 Comments:

At 11:45 a.m., Blogger Andrew said...

I could have sworn that you were blogging before me.... odd.

Congrats on the anniversary - I look forward to another babble-filled year.

 
At 2:29 p.m., Blogger Declan said...

I don't really generate enough traffic to worry about trolls or policing comments but otherwise your experience with blogging sounds similar to mine.

I think I could only give up blogging if I was doing some other kind of writing. Even then it would be dificult to give up entirely.

Happy Blogiversary!

 
At 3:06 p.m., Blogger Greg Staples said...

Good job Damian!

I have been a fan going back to the Andrew Coyne minor league days.

 
At 5:50 p.m., Blogger Walsh Writes said...

Maybe in time.. blogging will become more collabrative on some levels.

Good work.. you have been in the game longer than me that is for sure.

 
At 12:20 a.m., Blogger Gunner said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:34 a.m., Blogger Gunner said...

Congrats, Damian. I'm glad you still have the itch to blog, as I've enjoyed the babbling.

 
At 6:40 p.m., Blogger deaner said...

Good work, Damian. I can only echo some of the other comments - I stop by here every day, and I am always pleased when you have taken the effort to 'get something off your chest.'

Best of luck, and I look forward to more years of babbles...

Cheers,

Dean

 
At 9:05 p.m., Blogger Paul said...

Happy, happy!!

 
At 9:54 a.m., Blogger John the Mad said...

Well done true and faithful servant. Congratulations.

 
At 3:42 p.m., Blogger no sleep said...

Perhaps a post on what to do in the event that a blind squirrel finds your nuts would be in order. Crucial information.

Happy Anniversary.

The private citizen formerly known as Occam's Carbuncle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home