Friday, August 05, 2005

Dumb name, great idea

Babble on.

And speaking of transit - am I turning into a one-trick pony here? Ah well, the drawbacks of free content and all that, folks.

My latest investigations into the crazy, upside-down world of not using a car to get to work have turned up this gem: Viva. I keep wanting to grow my sideburns and say Las Vegas after that, but so far I'm resisting, thanks so much for asking.

I tell ya, if I can shave time off my commute, AND save money, I don't mind being a slave to an every-ten-minutes bus and subway schedule. The Newmarket to Finch route passes about a kilometre from my house, and I can guarantee you I'll be checking it out come September. If it works as advertised, this will be a quantum leap forward in commuting from the 'burbs.

Babble off.

6 Comments:

At 12:31 p.m., Blogger Mitch said...

Somehow, after living in Newmarket, I don't think it'll be the case. My solution - bring back the Spadina expressway! LOL

 
At 12:45 p.m., Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

Mitch, did you go into the Viva site and take the tour? The bus drivers will be able to hold traffic lights if they're behind schedule. I'm not so sure this is pie-in-the-sky. I'm going to try it out in September.

 
At 2:06 p.m., Blogger Mitch said...

I must admit that the web site is impressive, and conceptually it makes sense. However, my skepticism on this is based on two fronts: (1) it's run by the government, and (2) the economics of funnelling a lot of tax dollars into something that cannot support itself based on fares.

I am going to post a link on my blog, hopefully a broader discussion will emerge..

cheers,

 
At 6:23 p.m., Blogger Walsh Writes said...

Somebody spent a shit load of coin on that website!!

 
At 7:25 p.m., Blogger Chris Taylor said...

Looks like a wicked idea, in fact it almost makes me wish I lived in York Region again. But... what's to prevent the average motorist from say clogging up the super-spanky VIVA extended right turn lane with his own vehicle?

We have dedicated bus and taxi lanes here in Toronto, and during rush hour only buses, taxis, and cars with 3+ people are supposed to use them.

Of course, everyone ignores the restrictons and every class of vehicle -- regardless of occupancy -- uses them.

 
At 4:35 p.m., Blogger The Brigadier, Red Ensign Brigade said...

I've seen half-a-dozen of the new Viva buses sniffing out their new routes in the past couple of weeks. Is it of any concern that two of them were broken down? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home