Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Lotusland or nanny-state with Victorian morals?

Babble on.

Jay Jardine is leaving libertarian-hell and taking The Freeway to Serfdom all the way out to Lotusland.

Getting out of Ottawa must be a sweet relief for Jay. Of course, Vancouver isn't all bubblegum and lollipops for those who believe a person's home should be a safe haven for consensual sexual activity (and it's pretty hard...um, I mean difficult to get more consensual than a solo act):

The Supreme Court hears arguments on Tuesday about whether a Vancouver man caught masturbating in his own apartment living room should have been convicted of committing an indecent act in public.

Daryl Clark was sentenced to four months in jail because he could be seen from the outside through his windows.

...

A neighbour viewed Clark masturbating from her own apartment and called police. An officer who was also able to see Clark shone his light to attract Clark's attention. Clark then jumped back from the window.


I am steadfastly resisting the almost-overwhelming urge to speculate on Jay's own habits regarding window-coverings, however tempting. I do wonder, though, how long it will be before some other governmental invasion of privacy sets Jay off on one of the awe-inspiring rants for which he is so appreciated.

Have fun out west, Jay...but not too much fun, lest you end up behind bars.

Babble off.

Update: From my comments section: He wasn't just masturbating in his own home. He was masturbating in his own home while spying on the neighbours' kids through the window. Yuck.

I will echo that thought: Yuck. As the father of a young daughter, I can assure you I find that sort of behaviour thoroughly disgusting. Feel free to re-read my profile to see my preferred method for dealing with problems such as this.

Having said that, I still think charging a man for whacking off in his own home sets a dangerous precedent. I'm better able to control a pervert looking in my window than the state peering in. You can't take a baseball bat to the state.

2 Comments:

At 10:36 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh, the dangers of commenting on a case without reading it.

He wasn't just masturbating in his own home. He was masturbating in his own home while spying on the neighbours kids through the window.

Yuck.

 
At 4:06 p.m., Blogger Jay Jardine said...

Yikes. Well, the GF and I have purchased a condo with lots of window - I'm used to the 'ant farm' life from my place in Ottawa - if nosy neighbours wish to admire my Adonis-like frame who am I to deny them their daily pleasure? But when creepy dudes start pulling their cords at the sight of young kids you're absolutely right, time to get the Louisville Slugger out and have a word with the perv.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home