Saturday, November 13, 2004

"If everyone's 'special', no one is."

Babble on.

Litlbit, Joje (Litlbit's bratty kid sister - yes, you can still be a brat at 29), Boo and I just got back from watching The Incredibles.

It's an absolutely phen0menal movie. The writing is clever and quick, the CG animation is all that we've come to expect from Pixar, and the action is over-the-top. There are some misty-eyed moments, but they're pleasantly outnumbered by LYAO moments.

But best of all, the movie refuses to be politically-correct. It tells kids it's OK to use their talents and excel at whatever they're good at. It tells all of us that it's OK to dream big and live those dreams. It completely demolishes the idea that we shouldn't compete, that we should strive for equal results instead of equal opportunities. Given the fact that the movie is a Hollywood blockbuster, I'm surprised it got made at all.

The thing is conservative counterculture fer gawdsake, and it's like a drink of cold water on blisteringly hot day. I'm giddy here, I know. But what a movie, what a great movie for kids of all ages.

Babble off.

Update: Bratty isn't a fair characterization of Joge. After fifteen years or so, I give her a hard time more out of habit than anything else, but in some cases it's inappropriate. Remark withdrawn, with my apologies.

3 Comments:

At 11:43 p.m., Blogger The Tiger said...

Think I'm going to have to go see it one of these days. It seems like the movie can appeal to us older folk.

Well, probably will wait to see it on video -- might be a bit embarassing to be in the kiddie movie. And creepy-looking.

 
At 8:15 p.m., Blogger K. Shoshana said...

The children and I saw it yesterday - the children loved it but I fell asleep half-way through it - at least it wasn't Spongebob!

 
At 2:14 p.m., Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

Prolix, I haven't seen Team America, and I think Goodkind has jumped the shark and gone too pointlessly dark in recent books (I want him to write another NOVEL, not another diatribe), but thanks for your thoughts!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home