Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Old school stylin'

Babble on.

A recent trip to the gift-shop at the CN Tower unearthed a most interesting Canadian clothing company: Dax Wilkinson National Heritage Brands.

Although my wife and I were dressed to the nines from dinner at the 360 Restaurant, I couldn't resist picking up a stone coloured ballcap with the RCAF Roundel on the front. Do you have any idea how much I enjoy wearing that cap?

Emphatically not "Air Element." Say it with me: Royal. Canadian. Air. Force. Egad, the spine straightens just voicing the words.

Babble off.

5 Comments:

At 7:15 p.m., Blogger Chris Taylor said...

I'm assuming the price alone (or possibly the moderating presence of the wife) prevented you from grabbing the navy-blue RCAF jacket, too? Now that is some cool-beans stuff.

 
At 12:47 a.m., Blogger John the Mad said...

Rrrrr (ahem) Rrrrrr oooo yyyyy (cough)

I remember when ......

Neat stuff. Per ardua ad astra.

 
At 9:48 a.m., Blogger VW said...

I'm sorry, but I can't. Say "it." With a straight face. (And it's not because I'm a Navy man, I swear.)

Because whenever I see it, I ALWAYS have to precede it with:

"From Cabbagetown ... Ladies and Gentlemen ... "

and follow it with a female pitch going: "Ici Force Canada."

Blame Roger Abbott, Dave Broadfoot, Don Ferguson, Luba Goy and John Morgan. The Royal Canadian Air Force will always -- ALWAYS -- be associated with "radio comedy" in modern Canada. Live with it.

 
At 10:07 a.m., Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

VW, with all due respect, bugger off.

I knew too many people who served in the RCAF to ever associate it with a radio comedy, and I absolutely refuse to accept your assertion that the initials can mean nothing more than a gag to this or future generations of Canadians.

 
At 1:12 a.m., Blogger deaner said...

In case you didn't know, you can find RCAF citations here

http://www.airforce.ca/index2.php3?page=honours

Some of them are pretty inspiring...

Dean

 

Post a Comment

<< Home