Monday, September 06, 2004

Baptisms, beers, and buddies

Babble on.

I have just returned from a most enjoyable weekend in our nation's capital. I'm proud to say Litlbit and I are now proud godparents to a beautiful and precocious little girl, the daughter of my closest friend. So falls another urban-Canadian myth: it is possible to conduct a Christian religious ceremony from within the seventh circle of hell.

Catching up with some of my old friends was absolutely wonderful. We talked politics. We talked careers. We talked family. We talked old times. We sat around in the dark in my friend's back yard, smoking cigars and drinking whiskey until the wee hours of the morning.

It's been fifteen years since we first met, and it feels like fifteen days since we last razzed each other over a cheap beer at Bill and Alfie's. It doesn't get any better than that. There is indeed something to be said for shared trauma.

Babble off.



1 Comments:

At 1:21 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweet is never as sweet, without the bitter...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home