Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Points of disinterest

Babble on.

My interest in the following topics isn't quite enough to overcome the inertia of my laziness, hence you get a bunch of links in one awkward post. When you start paying for content, feel free to complain.

  • I don't know nearly enough about the Poundmaker First Nation controversy, but Darcey at Dust My Broom is taking the lead, along with Ian Scott at Ianism. What I do know is that First Nations governance is a serious issue, that burning down a band office to prevent documents from reaching an RCMP investigation is highly suspicious, and that peaceful resistance to oppression is taking the moral high-road. In short, I know which group I choose to believe, and why.

  • Most of my friends and relatives have asked how I feel about the Liberals surviving the latest Commons vote and maintaining their grip on power. I think they've expected me to rant about Adscam and theft of taxpayer dollars, or to rant about the infidelity of our new Minister of Complex Files. Every single one of them has been surprised when I say my biggest concern at this point isn't the graft - every government has it to some degree or another, although the Liberals have refined it into an art form - it's the erosion of the traditions that underpin our parliamentary democracy. You boil a live frog by turning up the temperature of the water slowly, degree by degree (ht:sda). Unlike some of my compatriots, I don't believe Canada can yet be reasonably compared to a banana republic, but we are undeniably inching in that direction overall, and it worries me.

  • If Treehugger can get his lazy-assed act together *mischievous grin*, we may have a blogger beer-up to attend. This wouldn't replace our VRWC Toronto Chapter meetings, as organized by Tarantino, but instead would combine mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging right-wing wack-jobs like me with weak-kneed, latte-sipping left-wing moonbats in a social situation. With adult beverages. If that sounds like fun to you, go heckle Treehugger in the comments to this post.


We now return you to your regularly scheduled life. Move along, people, nothing to see here.

Babble off.

Update: And another thing...

True, it took a while to see what was right before my eyes. A certain misplaced loyalty kept me from grasping that a view of individuals as morally capable of and responsible for making the principle decisions that shape their lives is decisively at odds with the contemporary left's entrance-level view of people as passive and helpless victims of powerful external forces, hence political wards who require the continuous shepherding of caretaker elites.


The rest of this reformed liberal's epiphany is equally clear-minded and worth reading (with props to Paul Denton).

2 Comments:

At 3:35 p.m., Blogger Les Mackenzie said...

I would call it skiing downhill toward a safe a serene utopian Bananada but *meh* inching sounds good too.

 
At 10:18 a.m., Blogger The Tiger said...

Liberal democratic traditions? Parliamentary conventions?

Bah, whatever. We don't need those. (Said as I quietly prepare my emigration.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home