Thursday, May 26, 2005

More geekerrific Star Wars stuff

Babble on.

Well, it seems I'm not the only one whose lifelong affection for the Star Wars story has allowed me to applaud the best and ignore the rest of the latest installment (ht:GMS):

Just came home from seeing it. I'm not ready to parse it apart yet, or look for flaws, or search for inconsistencies. Not ready. I'm sure they are there, but I just am not ready right now. I have to say I thought the movie was spectacular. And strangely moving. It's certainly the most unremittingly dark of the movies. I wonder how much of my emotional response has to do with the fact that I have had a relationship with this movie-series for the majority of life. I was 10 years old in 1977. Star Wars is one of the first movies I remember seeing in the movie theatre. You know? The whole thing is like an evocation of my childhood - so I'm not sure what's what. And you know what? It just DOESN'T MATTER.


To those oh-so-sophisticated friends of mine who have decided to hold a pillow firmly over the face of their inner child by dissecting Revenge of the Sith flaw by flaw, please accept this heartfelt - and splatteringly wet - Bronx cheer. I hope it hits you right in your upturned nose.

Phfffttttt!

It's probably a much worse movie than I can admit, but it's undoubtedly a much better movie than you're willing to say. And you know what? I don't care if I'm looking at it through rose-coloured glasses. Movies for me are about feel, and this one felt right.

Babble off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home