Monday, January 10, 2005

One less subscriber

Babble on.

Well, I just cancelled my National Post electronic edition subscription. Although I hopped around their website looking for a 'cancel subscription' option, I couldn't find anything of the sort.

Silly me, thinking that just because I subscribed online, I could cancel online.

Of course, when I finally picked up the phone and called to end the service, the service rep on the other end of the line couldn't have been nicer. Was there a specific reason I was cancelling? Honest answer or short answer, which do I pick...ah, short answer. I just wasn't reading it. Yes, please cancel today.

Truth be told, beyond the dismal Copps vs. Cosh choices The Post's editors have been making for months now, I don't find I can justify paying for much content these days. There really is a lot of good, free stuff on the net these days, in the blogs and out of them.

I'm not saying I won't buy a Post at the newsstand every now and then, but generally speaking, if I'm going to pay to play, the content has to be meatier - like The Economist. It might sound cheap, but I have better uses for even a measly $10 per month than paying for daily news and opinion when I've got my own healthy, hearty blogroll.

Who exactly is The Post's target demographic these days? When even a right-wing nutjob like me is fleeing their subscriber list, one wonders how much longer this paper can continue in its current form.

Babble off.

2 Comments:

At 3:32 p.m., Blogger Dana said...

The first and only magazine that I ever subscribed to was The Western Standard. I've been nothing but totally impressed.

The Economist as you mention is well worth the price as well. When I fly I always pick one up at the newstand since I know it'll keep me occupied for the entire flight.

 
At 6:06 p.m., Blogger Marty said...

I canceled my paper subscription to the Post the day that Buzz Hargrove had his first article published in the Financial Post. They didn't ask why I was canceling, which kind of disappointed me, because I had a whole rant prepared.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home