Saturday, June 09, 2007

Reluctant lumberjack

Babble on.

That was a pretty freaky storm that went through the GTA yesterday. When I arrived home, I found I was short half a cherry tree.



It was leaning on the back fence, so I borrowed a chain-saw from my Dad and started cutting the downed half up into firewood. Looking at the trunk, I'm not sure the other half can even be saved. I guess there was rot in there to begin with, which is probably what weakened it enough to split like that.



Luckily none of the other trees on the property were damaged. We have another six large trees, one of which is a bit too close to the power lines for my comfort, but they were all OK.

But the cherry coming down is a real bummer. We've only been in this house a year now, and I was looking forward to another delicious crop this year. The blossoms this past spring were spectacular...I'm going to really miss that.



It could be worse, I know.

But what a damned shame.

Babble off.

5 Comments:

At 2:56 p.m., Blogger WE Speak said...

Before you go burning that cherry wood in the fireplace, I suggest you drop in over at the Meatriarchy for a few suggestions.

 
At 6:45 p.m., Blogger Temujin said...

It's too bad cherry trees like that don't just spring up overnight. I bet you would have enjoyed a bumper crop :-(

I've put up a few pictures of flooding in the Bulkley Valley, if you're at all interested.

 
At 7:05 a.m., Blogger The Meatriarchy said...

Cherry wood makes an excellent bbq wood. I just bought a bunch of it at a local firewood place.

Take some of the largest junks, allow them to cure and then cut them up with a buck saw into fist sized chunks. Toss a couple on the coals and you have some tasty smoke!!!

 
At 8:10 p.m., Blogger pwitherow said...

That is unfortunate, Damian. I have fond memories of climbing up a cherry tree in my backyard (they make great climbing trees). Maybe it's time to plant a new one with the kids?

 
At 8:40 p.m., Blogger Sean McCormick said...

Sorry to hear you lost your cherry...tree. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home