Sunday, October 22, 2006

Putting in a call to the big 'Help Desk'

Babble on.

So my dad has a bunch of old vinyl albums that he wants to convert into CD's, and neither of us had any clue how to do it, but we tried anyhow this afternoon: the blind leading the blind, deaf, and terminally dopey. Needless to say, we had zero success, although not from lack of time invested completely wasted.

Which is why I'm appealing to you, Gentle Reader, for help. Unlike the 'Help?' dropdown on just about every Windows-friendly program out there, I can explain my situation, and I trust you'll 'get it' without dredging up a bunch of false positives in some database that have nothing to do with my real question.

How the aitch-ee-double-hockey-stick do we get what's on his 33's and put them into a digital format that we could burn onto a CD?

Bueller? Anyone?

Babble off.

6 Comments:

At 9:32 p.m., Blogger hunter said...

Make sure he keeps those LP's, they are becoming a collectors item, depending on the artist. Old record players are increasing in demand as well!!

 
At 11:40 a.m., Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

Thanks for the tip on clipping the vinyl to size, Mertens. Next time you have a hang-nail, drop by and I'll pull out the handy-dandy tin-snips to pay you back. Heh.

My dad laughed when I told him I could probably get the answer on my blog within a day. Thanks for not disappointing, folks.

Now I just have to find time to read the article, and see if my dad has the right equipment to do the job...

 
At 4:52 p.m., Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

Re quality, etc, this is a bit of a messy process and I would try to buy a new CD instead if possible.

Oh, I hear you - I'm lazy by nature and so I would have dropped the exercise about an hour in yesterday if it weren't for the fact that some of my dad's albums are out of production. You simply can't find them as CD's - believe me, I've tried.

 
At 5:44 p.m., Blogger Chris Taylor said...

I have done something similar with tapes rather than vinyl. Used a procedure not unlike those listed above but I didn't bother with the pre-amp, I just recorded via a couple of the receiver's component output (vs. line output) RCA plugs.

If you want to go the super-easy route you can always get professionals to do it for you (for about $35 bucks an hour). On the other hand if you know any university students with time on their hands, just about any place with a radio & television arts program will have appropriate gear to do the transfer and you can probably pay them off with less than 35 bucks an hour's worth of beer and pizza.

 
At 5:53 p.m., Blogger Chris Taylor said...

Actually now that I think about it there are a ton of places in Toronto that will do audio transfer (large but who knows how recent list here).

This guy that I just found on that list will do 33rpm LP-to-CD transfer for 15 bucks per LP.

You can, of course, do all of this yourself (and on a much smaller budget), it's just a matter of how many hours you want to invest and which is easier to recoup -- time or money?

 
At 9:51 a.m., Blogger no sleep said...

You can buy turntables that plug directly into a USB port on your computer. Don't know about the quality.

OC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home