Tuesday, August 15, 2006

What we don't know

Babble on.

Further to the ongoing discussion about how sports reporters bring more to the table professionally than war reporters do these days, I recommend reading Occam's Carbuncle's abridged list of things we don't know about the recent Israel-Hezbollah state of open hostilities. Feel free to add to that list in comments.

And ask yourself if there's any good reason we don't know at least a bit more about each of those points - heck, why the points are only raised at all on a couple of relatively obscure Canadian blogs like BB and OC.

Memo to news organizations: time to start probing deeper into the dynamics of conflict than "look at all the refugees."

Babble off.

6 Comments:

At 12:28 p.m., Blogger GenX at 40 said...

Having read a long interview in the Star with weekend from the Druze leader answering at least one of these questions, I would be first inclined to ask myself if I have a proper job answering the other questions or whether they represent my own predetermined biases before I shout GOTCHA in the bathroom mirror again.

 
At 2:52 p.m., Blogger no sleep said...

OK. You're absolutely I'll make a few calls right away to my contacts in Hezbollah, the U.S. State Department and the IDF. WHat was I thinking?

Your ability to read the Star without vomiting is indeed admirable, however, making assumptions about the war based on a single interview with one interested party is the sort of thing I've decided to avoid. But you go right ahead.

The word you should be shouting in the bathroom mirror is definitely not "Gotcha".

Your inexplicable hostility continues to be a source of considerable amusement. Keep up the good work.

OC

 
At 3:01 p.m., Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

Your inexplicable hostility continues to be a source of considerable amusement.

I think it has something to do with being named Alan and having a law degree. People who meet both those criteria tend to be a bit off. ;)

 
At 3:08 p.m., Blogger GenX at 40 said...

BB is right and the funniest thing now that I think of it - it was in the National Post Saturday, not the Star at all. And it was not my beliefs on the war I was commenting on but your grocery list of MSM most excellent Rathergatisms.

My hostility is only to the quality of ideas I am presented with and not the man. Plus my abiding faith is in the power of hope as is evidenced in the effort I take to draw you to the land of the rational. ;-)

 
At 4:16 p.m., Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

GenX at 40's other blog is about Beer, OC. Which indicates two things: first, he's not all bad; and second, you should read most of his comments with a slight slur, as they tend to make a bit more sense in that context.

Heh.

 
At 4:20 p.m., Blogger GenX at 40 said...

I much prefer "with a jaunty angle to his top hat and thumb in his vest".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home