Friday, November 26, 2004

Do these people not have a Starbucks to vandalize or something?

Babble on.

The I-smoked-my-own-white-man-dreadlocks-by-accident-because-I-thought-they-were-doobies crowd is apparently boycotting any purchases of anything today (hat-tip to She Who Posts Too Irregularly).

Like any of these twits with unwashed bodies and thoroughly washed brains has money to buy things anyhow. People like that are why I never keep loose change in my pocket (if you've ever strolled down Government Street in Victoria, or outside Union Station in Toronto, you know what I'm talking about).

Even if I had the slightest inclination to participate in this infantile stunt, I couldn't. I buy water every time I flush a toilet at my house. And believe me, you don't want me skipping a day of flushing. It's cold enough outside that I'm pretty much stuck buying electricity and natural gas today. And since it's Friday, I'm buying health and dental benefits (conveniently deducted directly off my paystub) simply by earning a wage. I guess you pretty much have to be homeless and unemployed to participate, which says a lot about the people who have served up this steaming pile of stupidity.

The truth, though, is that like most men, I like buying stuff. Not shopping, mind you - that particular female invention invokes emotions somewhat akin to those I imagine having while my fingernails nails are removed with hot pincers by an advanced Parkinson's patient. But buying? Laying cash on a barrelhead? Exchanging the product of my hard work for ownership of something tangible? That's kind of fun.

In fact, I was already planning to buy a big, garrish, plastic Christmas present for my kids at Toys R Us on the way home from work tonight. Not only will the kids love it, my wife and I will love seeing the smiles and hearing the shrieks when they rip off the wrapping paper and realize it's theirs to play with whenever they want.

And I'll have the added pleasure of knowing I've engaged in my own little protest against the delusional idiots who think prosperity and its consumerist trappings should be a crime.

Babble off.

5 Comments:

At 2:34 p.m., Blogger james said...

I'm taking the dog to obedience class tonight, I think I shall buy some silly pointless toy for the little girl just because I can!

 
At 3:29 p.m., Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

Sean, I know this site doesn't measure up to PolSpy in readership or design (not to mention content most of the time), but if you need a place to blog while PolSpy is down, drop me a line. You're welcome to guest-blog here.

 
At 4:28 p.m., Blogger Chris Taylor said...

Heh. I think the term "assload" needs broader adoption.

 
At 7:56 p.m., Blogger Shannon said...

I wonder if it is o.k. to eat food on Buy Nothing Day if you bought it earlier in the week. I mean, is there any meaningful difference between buying food on Tuesday then eating it on Friday, and buying food on Friday then eating it on Friday? Maybe you should have to fast on Buy Nothing Day too -- unless you happen to have veggies you grew in your own garden, or meat from animals you raised yourself (or hunted!).

I also wonder if it is o.k. to trade things with people, as long as no actual money changes hands. If I and some friends each bake a large batch of one kind of cookies and then we all trade so that we all have a bunch of different kinds of cookies, is that following proper Buy Nothing Day etiquette? Presumably if we held a bake sale and other people bought the cookies with money, that would be wrong, but is it o.k. for me to trade a dozen chocolate chip cookies for a dozen shortbread cookies?

Hmmm...this Buy Nothing Day stuff is so complicated!

 
At 11:38 p.m., Blogger John the Mad said...

"In its 13 years, BND has become a flashpoint, a day when people of all stripes come together in symbolic protest."

13 years! Goodness gracious, who knew? When is a flashpoint not a flashpoint? When it is but a flawed fart in the forest, a forgetful fest of fruitless fizzle. Beware of striped people! Zebra people cannot be trusted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home