Monday, November 22, 2004

The Red Ensign Standard - in a waffle cone thank you very much

Babble on.

Dust My Broom has done a bang-up job compiling the latest edition of the Red Ensign Standard. Felicitations, good sir.

Recently the Red Ensign Brigade has taken a somewhat backhanded shot from a blogger I read and admire: Theresa at Heart of Canada. Unfortunately - on this one particular issue - Theresa seems to have come a bit unhinged, first posting a variety of screeds on the issue of Flea's content and comments editing, and subsequently surprising the hell out of me by criticizing all those of us who fly the Ensign:

Of course, don't forget those stunning pics on his blog of Avril Lavigne, reportedly intoxicated at the time, in a Hooters outfit. Very professorial -- he just had to post that. Then, again, he makes his opinion clear: "This is not a forum and I am not interested in debating my views." Yes, sounds like much of academia to me, especially with regard to women.

I hope he doesn't teach like that. What does this say about the Red Ensign? Surely they must condone this fleabag stuff.


Really? All of us flying the Red Ensign think with a single brain and hold identical positions on all things bloggish under heaven? I think with the passage of time, and the cooling of emotion on this issue, that Theresa will acknowledge those words were not her finest.

I agree with some of of my fellow Brigade members on some issues, and with others on other points of interest. But I suspect that if we talked among ourselves for long enough, we Red Ensign types would eventually find points of disagreement on just about every topic imaginable within our collection of kindred souls. Just as Theresa wouldn't always agree with Jim Elve, or Shannon Davis, even though she associates herself with them through E-Group and the W League of Blogs respectively.

Oh, and for the record, I like Flea's free ice cream. Not always the chocolate sprinkles or the pistachio nuts, mind you, but the ice cream itself. And just because I don't like every topping doesn't mean I won't return for the ice cream when the craving hits. Like daily.

Babble off.

Update: The Monger weighs in. I could have said all that...if I was a better writer. Damm ejukatd sawbones maykin' mee luk bad!
...
and Jaeger, and The OC, and Mother of The Last Amazon.
...
and the Raging Kraut, and...wow, what a dissection...Chris Taylor. Yeah, what he said.

5 Comments:

At 1:34 p.m., Blogger Andrew said...

Well said. I emailed Theresa earlier today because, like you, I admire her writing and was caught off guard by this recent inident.

As I told her in my email, the Red Ensign is bound together by respect and honour towards Canada's past, and a sincere queasiness in the direction that we have taken lately. Aside from that, we often disagree on many points, which is how it should be.

 
At 4:48 p.m., Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

I'm amazed at how many people are missing the whole 'ice cream' metaphor. The content of the blog is the ice cream. All of it: the pictures, the games, the videos, the political commentary, everything. Den Beste's point was that someone will always complain that what you're offering free isn't good enough (hence the demands for metaphorical chocolate sauce and sprinkles).

I repeat, this is not about girls being ice cream. Nobody is ice cream. Are we all on the same page now?

 
At 12:00 p.m., Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

Canada Council money? Promise, Flea? Where do I get me some of that? Babbler needs a new car (OK, a minivan - busted again)!

 
At 2:58 p.m., Blogger Andrew said...

Mike:

"This immature behaviour seems to be confined to blogs on the right, and it's just despicable."

Just like your idiotic assumption that posting girlie pics is a function of political preferance is despicable. Holy jeez - get a bloody clue.

 
At 4:14 p.m., Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

Actually Mike...or is it Paul...you keep changing your profile name, so I can't be sure...this thread is done.

 

<< Home