Thursday, August 28, 2008

Rudy vs. Hillary! Or not! Who cares!

Babble on.

OK, so I got it wrong. Not the first time, and it certainly won't be the last.

In an effort to regain my lost political prognostication credibility, I give you my prediction for the upcoming McCain vs. Obama race: who the hell knows? 6 to 5 and pick 'em. Flip a flippin' coin.

I have just as little confidence in my ability to predict the next Canadian election. Dion's a wet noodle, and Harper is giving himself a Grade III concussion pounding into that electoral glass ceiling right above him.

The thing is, I'm hard pressed to get my Give A F**k Factor above "comatose" about any of it. McCain's solid, but uninspiring from a political standpoint. Obama is all sizzle, no steak. The Liberals didn't ruin Canada under Chretien and Martin, and the Conservatives haven't "saved" it.

Nobody actually wants to steer the ship of state, they just want to be the ones with their grasping mitts on the controls. Which is a bloody shame, since I'm naturally inclined to care a lot more than I do right now.

Babble off.

1 Comments:

At 1:25 p.m., Blogger El Cerdo Ignatius said...

The Liberals didn't ruin Canada under Chretien and Martin, and the Conservatives haven't "saved" it.

True the Conservatives haven't saved the country, but at least the bus stopped its leftward lurch. Some of the damage is permanent; some of it isn't.

My own "issues" with the Liberals: Compare program spending from 1998/99 to the last year the Liberals were in power. Add on the Sponsorship Scandal. Consider the damage done to Canada's international prestige by the Chretien/Axworthy "soft power" approach. Ruminate on the Libs' headlong rush into social experimentation by redefining marriage. Not to mention Chretien's and Martin's near-successful re-definition of "Canadian values" to be more or less congruous with "Liberal Party values", such that anyone less liberal than they gets branded with labels like "extremist", "right-wing ideologue", "regressive", "bigot", etc.

I find it hard to get pumped up about the election, too, since the Conservatives have not been able to undo anything except the emphasis on "soft power". But the list above is reason enough for me to try to keep the Default Party out of power as long as possible.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home