Wednesday, July 19, 2006

People in glass houses, and all that

Babble on.

In anticipation of knickers beginning to knot later in this piece, let me say right off the bat that I think Paul Wells is one of the best writers in Canada. Period. Very clever, very dry, willing to dig into somewhat obscure but undeniably important topics in detail (R&D, education policy, Belarus, etc). He also once did both me and the CF a good turn by shining a spotlight where the Liberals desperately wanted the truth kept in darkness under their spin. So credit must be given where it's due.

But having now fawned so embarrassingly all over Mr. Wells, I have to say he made me chuckle this morning. Not with him, mind you, but at him.

Of all people, I thought he would have forsaken this common line of criticism of Prime Minister Harper:

Quite by coincidence, this week's print column, on newsstands in much of the country tomorrow, is, in part, about the prime minister's extraordinary ability to feel sorry for himself.


Yes, yes, Paul, Mr. Harper is indeed thin-skinned in some ways. Some might even go so far as to call him petty when he feels unjustly wronged or set-upon.

In that, he's not unlike some journalists of our acquaintance:

I've never read a book that answered all my questions about the topic. The last time I expected a book to answer all my questions, I was five. Is this the first long article you've read without a crayon in your hand? If so, congratulations.


Seeing as I'm not nearly as sharp-witted or talented a writer as Wells, I'll just finish off with a hoary old chestnut.

Actually, I'm not sure which one works best: physician heal something-or-other; pot, meet kettle; people in glass houses...take your pick.

Babble off.

4 Comments:

At 3:36 p.m., Blogger no sleep said...

No need to fawn. Wells is his own biggest fan. All the adulation he needs he gets at home alone.

 
At 1:00 a.m., Blogger Declan said...

"Actually, I'm not sure which one works best"

I kind of like the childish, 'takes one to know one' comeback myself, although it does work best when one is being personally insulted.

 
At 10:46 a.m., Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

"Takes one to know one" - wow, I'd forgotten all about that schoolyard classic. Perfect.

 
At 10:49 a.m., Blogger no sleep said...

Declan is rubber and you're glue. Whatever you say bounces off him and sticks to you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home