Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Lightning's double-tap

Babble on.

When Christopher Reeve died just over a year ago, I found the way it affected me peculiar. I'm not a star-watcher - in fact, my feelings for most of Hollywood range from annoyance to disgust, when I notice them at all.

Now Dana Reeve, Chris' wife, has followed him at the obscenely-early age of 44, a victim of lung cancer. They have a 13 year old son who will now face the daunting task of going through his teen years without a parent. I can't imagine.

It's not like tragedy doesn't strike other families - the Reeves didn't have the misfortune to be born in Darfur, for example. But stories like this one provide a very real there-but-for-the-grace-of-God perspective to me. And like their politics or not, they were good people, courageous people, positive people.

Bad things happen. I understand that. I just wish the bad things could limit themselves to bad people.

Babble off.

2 Comments:

At 4:26 p.m., Blogger Oliver said...

...which is where your faith steps in.

As a Christian, I look forward to the end of my life. I will be going to a place where there is no pain, no suffering, and no death. If Christopher and Dana were believers, they have gone to a better place. They will have their eternal reward where pain can no longer touch them.

Yes, it is sad that their 13 year old son has no parents left on this earth. However, if they were Christians and they passed that faith on to their child, then he knows that he will be with them again one day, and in the meantime, he has at the very least a heavenly Father who is always with him and a family of fellow believers who will love him though his earthly parents are gone.

 
At 1:01 a.m., Blogger Candace said...

Theoretically, Shane, you have a point. But I doubt that orphaned child, regardless of what wealth (how much is left, after the expensive treatments, I wonder?) was left to him, is finding much comfort in that. He's 13. And probably devastated and wondering why God chose to take both his parents, and why they had to suffer.

Job was not a child.

Their son is in my thoughts & prayers; I hope he finds the strength to get through this terrible time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home