Monday, August 29, 2005

Ex-Athlete Man!

Babble on.

Timmy's making up memes.

If you were a super hero, what would your name be, and what would your super power be?


This takes me back a few months. Litlbit and I are sitting in the darkened theatre, watching Mr. Incredible land for the first time on Nomanisan Island. He stretches, giving us a little too intimate a view of his belly, and then takes off into the forest at a trot. We then watch as his trot becomes more and more laboured, as he gasps for air, as he tries to make his body do what he remembers it used to. My wife snickers beside me, leans in and whispers "I recognize that - it's the Ex-Athlete Shuffle."

I laughed, because while that's cruel, it's also the truth.

Since the job of Mr. Incredible is already taken, and because I'm not as partial to Feckless Sidekick as I let on, I'll just have to go with [ringing announcer voice] Ex-Athlete Man!!! [/ringing announcer voice].

As far as my powers are concerned: I can run fast, but not nearly as fast as I used to, and waterborne evil-doers should beware of my devastating cannonball. I believe I can wheeze villians to death, but only after lunching on something especially garlicky. I can be defeated by throwing a ball in front me - I'll chase it until my face turns red and I drop. Oh, and I have a superheroic memory! Just ask me, and I'll regale you with stories of my past athleticism.

Now, who to tag? How about the entire Cirque du Blog crowd from Friday night? You're it!

Babble off.

7 Comments:

At 4:48 p.m., Blogger Janie For Mayor said...

Aaah, a super-power all men can eventually relate to.

Nicely done.

P.S. Saw some pics of you from the blogfest the other night. Looks like you guys had a great time.

 
At 9:40 p.m., Blogger rick mcginnis said...

Mister Hate. That was what my high school buddies used to call me. And my university friends. And my wife. I guess it kinda stuck.

 
At 10:15 p.m., Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

Timmy, next time you're within sight of the CN Tower, give me a call and I'll buy you a drink. Then we can get one of those Donald Rumsfeld shaking Saddam Hussein's hand photos.

I'll even let you pick which one you want to be. ;)

And Rick, your tough guy act doesn't fool me. When Mister Hate starts talking about his kids, he transforms into Mister Luvvydoveysmoochums. It's kind of entertaining to watch, sort of like the Wicked Witch of the West: "Help me! I'm melllllting!"

 
At 10:41 p.m., Blogger VW said...

But ... but I already have a superhero name! :)

 
At 10:43 a.m., Blogger Janie For Mayor said...

Ha! Good point, VW. "The Phantom Observer."

Great name, too.

Damian - I'll take the Saddam role since, as an opponent of the war, I'm objectively pro-Saddam already. ;-)

 
At 2:06 p.m., Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

Yeah, Timmy, I figured you for the swarthy genocidal egomaniacal dictator type.

I'm better playing a heartless neocon anyhow.

 
At 1:37 p.m., Blogger rick mcginnis said...

Damian, dude - you're not supposed to blow my cover, man.

In any case, I don't think my co-workers would gainsay Mister Hate, after three and a half years of nightly, intemperate rants. Either that, or they'd call me The Sleep King for my habit of taking catnaps during slow time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home